Under this legislation:
- An employee may request to modify his or her hours, schedule, or work location.
- Employees and employers will engage in an interactive process to discuss the employee's needs and how to address them with no or minimal disruption to the employer’s business.
- Employers who deny a request must explain the grounds for the denial.
- Employees who make requests are protected from retaliation.
- Small businesses are exempt from the law.
- The Department of Labor will develop regulations to smoothly administer the process, while ensuring the protection of employees' legal rights.
"Between trying to make ends meet and carving out time to care for their young children and aging relatives, parents across America are often stretched thin and need flexibility at work," Senator Clinton said, "I'm pleased to join Senator Kennedy in introducing this important piece of legislation to support our nation's working families."