Pages

Reminder: New Form I-9 effective April 3

Next Friday, April 3, 2009, employers must start using the revised Form I-9 for Employment Eligibility Verification.

The new I-9 form was originally scheduled to take effect on February 2, but the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) delayed implementation for 60 days for further review.

Employers should continue using the current Form I-9 until April 3 and should prepare to use the new version beginning April 3.

Completing the I-9 form is mandatory for all new employees hired to work in the U.S. and the updates reflect numerous changes in the list of acceptable documents employers may use to verify an applicant’s work eligibility status.

The new Form I-9 reflects several changes, including:

  • Expired documents are no longer considered acceptable proof of identification or work authorization.
  • Three documents were removed from List A of the List of Acceptable Documents: Form I-688, Temporary Resident Card, Form I-688A, Employment Authorization Card, and Form I-688B, Employment Authorization Card.
  • Foreign passports with machine-readable visas for certain citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) and the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) were added to List A.
  • The new U.S. Passport card was added to the list of acceptable employment eligibility verification documents.

Employers who fail to use the revised Form I-9 by April 3, 2009, may be subject to violation fines. Neglecting to fill out an I-9 form for every employee, or filling out forms incorrectly , can result in up to $1,100 for every incorrect form.

Order the updated I-9 form with detailed tip sheets to ensure your company is in compliance with federal recordkeeping requirements. More tools and information on completing your I-9 forms correctly are available in the ComplyRight I-9 Recordkeeping Kit.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

 

Labels :

Copyright (c) 2010. Blogger templates by Bloggermint